Sharps Row

This section contains 11 documents, ranging in date from 1837-1909, relating to the cottages at Sharps Row which were demolished in about 1948, and were on the site of The Garden of Remembrance, St James’ Church, Badsey. The last document is for 1909 when the cottages were in the ownership of the Refuge Assurance Company Limited. They were later bought by the Sladden family. The cottages continued to be occupied until around the early 1930s, but gradually became very run-down. They fell out of use in the 1930s after the building of new council houses at Synehurst Crescent. They were pulled down in the late 1940s when an extension to the churchyard was made between 1949 and 1952, the daughters of Sir Julius Sladden having bequeathed the land to the church. A small part of the churchyard extension (the southern end, where the row of cottages had been located), was set aside as a Garden of Remembrance.