Parish Newsletters 1948-1978

The parish magazine was probably reintroduced in the period immediately following the Second World War, after a gap over 25 years. Copies of Aldington, Badsey and Wickhamford Parish Magazine are available from January 1948, but it was certainly in existence in 1947, as the January 1948 issue includes a magazine account for the year ending 31st December 1947 showing that 300 copies a month were printed. It was probably started in the period 1945-1947 when the Reverend Graham Jeffreys became Vicar following Canon Allsebrook’s long incumbency and continued by the Reverend Wilfred Broadhurst Chapman when he became Vicar at the end of 1947. The cost was 3d per issue.

In 1952, the magazine changed its name to Badsey, Aldington and Wickhamford Parish Magazine at a cost of 3s 6d per annum, and in 1954 it became known as Badsey, Aldington and Wickhamford Parish Review. In 1959, whilst the name of the magazine remained the same, the new vicar, the Reverend Peter Braby, altered the format, with a return to a front cover on glossy paper.

The only magazine copies missing in this period are April 1957, October 1969 and December 1976. The majority of the items are copies of the magazines in the Vicarage attic, but The Badsey Society possesses a few originals.